Shan-Lee Liu, Ed. D.
A day of my life at the Boston Latin School
5am, wake up, do morning stretch, exercise, water the flowers, do house chore, eat breakfast, 6:30am go out of the door, 7:10 arrive at the school, check in at the office, 7:15am, open up the classroom door, write down today’s agenda on the board, set up the 31 laptops in the classroom, 7:25am home room students walk into the classroom, “good morning everyone!” What a wonderful day!
As an educator at the American’s first public high school, teaching Chinese 1, 2, 4 and Comprehensive Chinese everyday is full of challenge and reward. It is this everyday routine - on time, be prepared and respect for everyone makes Boston Latin School alumni proud and always strive for excellence. The experience of NSLI-Y collaboration with the NSLI-Y students study abroad in Kaohsiung, Taiwan is special. Kaohsiung is my dearest home town. I grew up in this beautiful harbor city. Perhaps that is why I fall in love with Boston and have been teaching for more than 19 years at the public schools system.
Latin is the common language for all the 7th graders at the Boston Latin School. Beginning at the 8th grade, students can choose Chinese as one of the 5 modern languages among Spanish, Italian, French and German. Students need to study for four years of one language as graduation requirement. Comprehensive Chinese is a college entry level course introducing Chinese cultures, contemporary issues and area study to seniors. As an educator, Chinese languages, cultures and area studies are my life-long passion for teaching, learning and researching. The iEARN NSLI-Y projects of “one day of my life” as well as "relationship building in language immersion" open up wonderful possibilities for both my students and I to connect and communicate with American students studying abroad in Taiwan, China and around the world to learn from each other and listen to one another by heart with respect.
Every time my students and I viewed the video clips or blogs made by the NSLI-Y students in Taiwan just brought back my childhood memory. In the future, I am eager to bring my students back to my hometown and study the cultures, languages and everything that is happening there alive with love!
2:15pm classes are over at the Boston Latin School, after school clubs at the BLS, hosting families activities in Kaohsiung, Taiwan and different journey around the globe, the life long learning just begin.
- About me and my students
- Listening and Speaking Rubric for Chinese 1 and Chinese 2
- Performance rubric for speaking 2019
- Interdisciplinary Family Unit
- Sample Unit Plan
- Index Card Review Guide
- Character Unit Template
- Character/Idiom Unit Checklist
- Sample Lesson PLan 2016
- Proficiency for All Students
- Speaking Grading Rubric 2016
- Writing Grading Rubric 2016
- Open House
- Sample Speaking and Writing Prompt
- Rubric for Editing and Revision
- Rubric for Interpersonal Speaking
- Rubric for Powerpoint Presentation with Voiceover
- Chinese 2 Presentational Speaking Rubric
- Chinese 4 Presentational Speaking Rubric
- Chinese 4 2016 January sample Lesson Plan
- Chinese 2 2016 January sample lesson plan
- Comprehensive Chinese 2016 January sample Lesson Plan
- 2015 Comprehensive Chinese Sample Lesson Plan
- 2015 Oct. Chinese 2 sample lesson plan
- 2015 Oct. Chinese 4 sample lesson plan